Values and vision
- Tjarnarbíó is the home of independent performing arts and our role is to run that home in a responsible way. Tjarnarbíó’s vested interests coincide completely with the interests of everybody involved.
- The long-term interests of independent performing, and creative arts are always at the forefront.
- We are in constant interlocution with society, cherish international collaboration, aim to help Icelandic artist get their works abroad and to get international artist to perform in Tjarnarbíó.
- We always keep our work transparent and do our best to share information in a way that makes our vision, mission and rules clear to everyone.
- At Tjarnarbíó there is perfect equality. We treat everyone, staff, artist and guests with respect.
- If ever in doubt if to react or not, we always react.
- We always start our concept work by thinking “in a perfect world” and then we think “why not”?
- We are constantly working on improvements and our aim is always to do better. Mistakes are opportunities, as long as we use them as a means to learn.
- That Tjarnarbíó will be recognized by artist and the public alike, as the home of independent performing arts and an art information centre. Tjarnarbíó’s shall stand for, creation, versatility, originality and quality.
- That Tjarnarbíó will be financially sustainable within 10 years
- That everyone aboard Tjarnarbio feels and understands that their own interests coincide with Tjarnarbíó’s interests and that we are all rowing in the same direction.
- That Tjarnarbio is a leading power in Iceland when it comes to international collaboration.
- That the contract between Reykjavik City and Independent Performing Arts Iceland about the operations of Tjarnarbio is secured for the long term
- That artist realise that the way forward is to work with open doors, share ideas and that our strength is best realised through harmony, unity and an open flow of ideas.
- That the public better understand artist’s work and it’s importance for society.
- That Tjarnarbíó’s attendance will grow 30% annually for the next 10 years
- That independent performing arts will grow as a profession and a trade for export.
- That Tjarnarbíó will be a venue for discussions about performing arts, cherishing the versatility of the profession.